Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Day 1
Lesson Topic: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Video of the Day: Clips from the 1971 and 2005 films, starring Gene Wilder and Johnny Depp, respectively (wild guess which one was a bigger hit with my kids)
Idiom of the day: "Rags to riches" (read a definition from wikipedia here)
1. Greetings & Pop Quiz
2. Introduction to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and author Roald Dahl, and reading through handout
3. Explanation of the idiom "rags to riches," and how it relates to Charlie
4. Watch a clip of the 1971 version, starting about 7 minutes in where we meet Charlie's family in their one-room hovel (4 mins)
5. Reading comprehension: students read 3 short paragraphs introducing the Bucket family and house, and answering 8 questions about it. Students worked alone, then compared answers with the other students at their tables.
6. Watch the same scene (introducing us to Charlie's home and family) in the 2005 version. The scene begins at about 04:37.
7. Announcing our guest teacher for tomorrow, Sarah! (30 seconds ;)
I am excited for CSHS students to have the opportunity to meet and talk with many different native English speakers from America.