Monday, May 30, 2011

American Poetry 2011

Today, we enjoyed one of my favorite lessons to teach: American Poetry!

We began as always with Welcome & Check-in time.  The question for today was "what did you do last weekend?"  Some sample answers:

  • I watched the movie Saw
  • I watched the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie
  • I slept for 12 hours
  • I got a haircut

After Welcome and Check-In, students read and listened to three American poems:
Billy Collins

"The Crocodile's Toothache" by Shel Silverstein (read that here, watch it here
"The Raven" by Edgar Allen Poe (read an e-book here, watch the Simpsons version there, read about Poe in Korean here)
"The Country" by Billy Collins (watch and listen to the animated poetry here)



Then, each student worked with a partner to write a couplet.  Examples will be posted on this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment